Immersion 4 Reflection

A significant portion of this final Immersion experience of the MHA program was spent revisiting MBTI and EQI with Hile Rutlidge of OKA. I spent time looking back to review my MBTI results which revealed that I have an ISTJ profile consistent with describing me as dependable, practical, and realistic. I also display loyalty to family and organizations. I am one that values structure and schedules. These MBTI results also confirm that I tend to be calm, serious, traditional with a preference for clearly defined roles and responsibilities. In refreshing my memory about my MBTI results, I recalled that Katherine Briggs and Isabel Briggs Myers were investigators who embraced Type Theory. Their assessment instrument is crafted to aid oneself to identify the “hardwiring” of personality type which can be viewed as more static or fixed. In contrast, emotional intelligence (EQI) is a more dynamic view that is interested in evaluating the behaviors displayed by an individual toward others in the environment as the individual engages the world that surrounds him. From my perspective, my range results for each of the sixteen elements of the EQI are displaying the behaviors that my ISTJ profile uses to successfully engage and manage my environment. I intentionally envisioned myself in the work environment as I completed the assessment tool for the MBTI and the EQI. Therefore, I believe that the results from both assessments accurately capture my “work self”. From this perspective, I feel that my ISTJ profile is using the EQI elements of Assertiveness, Independence, and Impulse Control in a well-balanced manner. However, my ISTJ profile is under utilizing the EQI elements of Interpersonal Relationship, Empathy, and Optimism.

In addition to MBTI and EQI, Immersion 4 also included the opportunity to present my Organizational Research Project to my classmates and program faculty. This presentation was the culmination of research and work to develop a business plan to support the strategic expansion of my organization’s robotic assisted thoracic surgery program.

The last portion of the Immersion 4 experience included a “program debrief” session that was guided by Dr. Friedman. This was a powerfully emotional session during which my classmates and I were able to discuss the shared experiences encountered while progressing through the various modules and immersions of the MHA programs.

Course Competencies

• Leadership – Ability for honest self-assessment
  • Leadership – Planning and implementing change
  • Communication and Relationship Management – Interpersonal communication
  • Communication and Relationship Management – Presentation skills
  • Professionalism – Continuing education and lifelong learning

Examples of My Work

Organizational Research Project Deliverables Presented at Immersion 4

Executive Summary: Strategic Expansion of Robotic Assisted Thoracic Surgery

Final_Richard_Executive Summary_Expansion Robotic Assisted Surgery.pdf

Presentation: Strategic Expansion of Robotic Assisted Thoracic Surgery

Sabulsky_Richard_ORP Presentation_Immersion 4.pdf

Business Plan: Strategic Expansion of Robotic Assisted Thoracic Surgery

Sabulsky_Richard_ORP Paper_Expansion of Robotic Assisted Thoracic Surgery.pdf