Saint Matthews Health Fair & Semester IV Reflection

Part 1:

One learning situation I participated in during semester IV was the health fair at St. Matthews church. Over the course of two hours I screened numerous participants performing skills including history taking, assessing vitals, grip strength assessment, and the TUG. However, the most crucial component of this event was providing patient education. This was the first time I had ever advocated and provided physical therapy education outside of the physical therapy setting.

To continue reading click here: CCIV E-portfolio Assignment.docx

Intercommunity Practicum Reflection

I learned so many valuable lessons from my experiences with this course. My service with KEEN allowed me to interact with children with disabilities. The main differences I noticed between children with disabilities and those without were the difficulties with attention span, the need for more sensory stimulation, and communication difficulties. It was easy to see how many serious challenges this can provide for the children now and in their futures. I learned these children will face adversity in just about every endeavor they choose. School, making friends, learning to become independent, attaining a job to support themselves, finding adequate healthcare, and exercise are all potential roadblocks for these children because of their innate circumstances. Furthermore, I learned that programs like KEEN can provide an avenue for the children to become healthier, learn social skills, and make friends; KEEN provides a service to allow the kids to be themselves in a much-needed judgement-free environment.

To continue reading click here: IPCP Reflection .docx

Objective

Here you will provide artifacts of completed work and reflective products (e.g., essays, metaphors, pictures, poetry, video, songs, etc.) that demonstrate your commitment to professional service and advocacy as core responsibilities of being a physical therapist.

Delete this content and create your own page on Service and Advocacy.