My classmates and I gaining perspective on the difficulties of living with physical disabilities in our modern world

--

As a new clinician, I have developed a progressive view of my role as a physical therapist. We have the unique opportunity to advocate for our patients by forcing ourselves to see past the tunnel vision of a patients functional impairments and approach care with a patient centered vision. Identifying the patient as a member of the healthcare team, instead of as their impairment, is my idea of the physical therapists role. The piece labled Motor Learning Principles, expresses my ability to critically analyze patients varying learning styles. It explores the options and opportunities available to craft targeted patient education. The last two segments dive into the importance of being perceptive to the multifactorial presentation of each patient, and how that could alter the ultimate rehabilitation plan. The following artifacts substantiate my belief that questioning ones own biases and stereotypes, and remaining focused on each individuals preferences and values, is vital in succeeding as a therapist who treats the whole person, and not just the “hole in the person”. 

Motor Learning Principles: acheiving skill acquisition by applying varying motor learning principles. 

Pt. Education Project: developing rapport with a patient through interview tactics and determining a patient centered plan of care based on patient preferences and ideals.