My first experience contributing to world health: teaching students at a local school in Costa Rica about healthy habits and the opportunities they have to continue their education beyond primary schooling. 

Discovering the importance of world health promotion while working with children in a remote village in Costa Rica. 

The amount of knowledge I have gained over the past three years, seems inconceivable. While the practical knowledge proved to be essential while completing our final year of full time internships, what surprised me most was the implicit knowledge that radiated through my actions and decisions in the clinic environment. My doctoral program embedded many inherent principles with which I approach my professional development. The three that come to mind unwaveringly are: 1) mistakes are acceptable, as long as the right change is implemented to bypass those same blunders in the future, 2) there are resources available to accomplish almost anything and 3) be receptive to not always knowing the right answer. These three implied messages provided me the confidence and conviction needed to succeed within the program and within the patient care setting. Completing my doctoral program was a stepping stone to the profession that I am excited about with every square inch of my being, and I don’t plan on ending my union with education at graduation. As a new clinician, I have additional goals and aspirations I wish to pursue during my professional rather then academic career. Contributing to the generations below me will be an everlasting aspiration, and I hope to explore this opportunity when I gain the experience needed for such an important role. Moreover, my commitment to world health and service is sure to be lifelong. My passion for this unique facet of the physical therapy profession stems from an experience promoting health and wellness in a community in Costa Rica. While the impact my fellow volunteers and I had on this community was lasting, the true lasting impression was the perspective I gained on world health and cultural values.