Carl Jung's personal unconscious can describe my personality by the cognitions most easily accessible through perceptions, thoughts, feelings, and memories. Whether they are from our persona, understanding of self based on the role we assume in society, or a part of our shadow, those unsocial thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that we may possess that we do not accept as characteristics (Engler, 2006). The collective unconscious and archetypes help demonstrate that there are many characteristic forms of humanness and that many characteristics make up every person's personality. Jung's personality test of four functions with opposite pairs visualizes this concept of archetypal human characteristics. My score of INTP, which refers to Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Perceiving, accurately describes some of my traits and way of thinking. With Myers Briggs it is evident no one person is only introverted or extroverted, for example, as we are all on a continuum with characteristics of humanness.

Engler, B. (2006). Personality Theories (7th Edition). Boston: Houghton Mifflin      

Company.

Old:

Jung’s theory can be used to explain my personality in terms of attitude and function and on a humanistic approach. INTP (Introverted; Intuitive; Thinking; Perceiving) is my personality type from Myers Briggs. An aspect of my personality is introversion which has actively been fought throughout academia in an effort to interact and take advantage of opportunity. It helps break open the shell I have in pushing boundaries. As a thinker, intuition and perception work hand in hand but are the source of anxiety. In addition, I try to stay optimistic and grateful for what I have.

Growing up the archetype of an academic intellectual subsumed from within in opposition to an artistic, creative side. Attending GW embracing this archetype and subsequent anxiety. Knowingly not the great academic or socializer attending GW allows me to fight through these weaknesses of personality.

As graduation is around the corner, Jung’s quote from BB hits hard in that looking from within and finding a purpose causes anxiety for adulthood is calling. The next step in life may be one which embraces art and philosophy.