MHA@GW Module 3: Healthcare Finance

My Development:

Healthcare finance was a subject I knew the least about upon entering the MHA program. I took the financial accounting course just prior to starting the class and found that I had a lot to learn.

My current position does not involve working with budgets and revenue, but I occasionally attend meetings with presentations on the finances of the laboratory. I find that, after having taken this class, I better understand the information presented during these meetings and their implications.

The information that will help me the most in my career is that regarding non-profit organizations and their community benefit and healthcare legislation and reform. I have worked in not-for-profit hospitals for my entire career, and am now able to describe what makes them different from the for-profit organizations. Also, with the Affordable Care Act's uncertain future, I know that I will need to be able to adapt to any legislative changes that affect coverage and the management of not-for-profit organizations.

Key Competencies:

Decision Making

• Solving Business Problems and Making Decisions

Financial Management

• Financial Management

Quantitative Skills

• Quantitative Analysis

Regulations

• Standards and Regulations

Health Care Issues

• Health Care Issues and Trends
    • Health Care Personnel