MHA@GW Module 1: Management & Strategy

My Development:

This class was a good introduction to healthcare management and encouraged my consideration of organizations as a whole rather than strictly through the lens of the laboratory (which has been my career experience thus far).

The most impactful discussions were those that focused on case studies, one of which has been posted in this portfolio entitled "Children's Hospital of Philadelphia: A Case Study". Learning about successful organizations that have different business models opened my eyes to the diversity of the healthcare industry. 

Throughout this module, I was able to work on improving my writing and interpersonal skills. I have found that writing is an important part of my current position, but also in the positions I aspire to hold. Working in teams has been an ongoing part of my career, but exhibiting tact and poise when issues arise within a team is valuable for managing and something that I need to develop.

Key Competencies:

Leadership

• Leading and managing others, planning and implementing change

Communication and Relationship Management

• Interpersonal communication, writing skills, working in teams

Business Skills and Knowledge

• Human resources management, strategic planning, marketing, organizational behavior and governance, planning and managing projects, quantitative analysis

Professionalism

• Improving community health

Health Care Knowledge

• Health care personnel, health care issues and trends