Hannah Hohendorf MHA, CPHIMS, MLS(ASCP), MB(ASCP)

Over the last 4 years I have worked as a Clinical Informatics Specialist with a particular interest in ambulatory workflow efficiency in the Epic Modules: EpicCare Ambulatory and Kaleidoscope. 

My thoughts first turned to quality management while I worked in the Henry Ford Hospital Molecular Pathology Laboratory (2011-2015). I was trained in Lean process improvement and later volunteered to do a value stream mapping study on molecular laboratory processes which led to a poster presented at the 2013 Association for Molecular Pathology annual conference. This poster garnered a Molecular Technologist Poster Award, and as a result of this success, I became involved in the development of the Henry Ford Hospital Laboratory Formulary where I served as the technical lead for two committees and one taskforce. 

In June 2016, I joined the Providence Health and Services Oregon Regional Laboratory as a Regional Quality Coordinator. While there, I worked on regional laboratory quality projects including the development and implementation of a laboratory event management database, a comprehensive quality management plan, an updated internal audit program, and implementation of the MediaLab cloud-based management system with four online modules utilized across the state by over 600 caregivers. 

During my time in the George Washington University Master of Health Administration program, I took a course on healthcare information technology (IT) which opened my eyes to creative and complex electronic medical record roles. After graduation, I started working as a Clinical Informatics Specialist and was able to use my skills in Lean to make Epic workflows more efficient and safe for patients in Ophthalmology, digital health, and ambulatory blood administration. One of the best parts of working in healthcare information technology is the rapid rate of change and regular opportunities to learn something new. Working with different teams on projects and tickets is difficult but rewarding because our common goal is improved patient care.