This is one of the core values that I feel the most strongly about. I think that more than many other providers, physical therapists have, or can have, a stronger connection and therefore potentially larger impact on the overall well being of their patients and the community at large. We spent up to several hours a week with each person (in adult orthopedics), we are often working with athletes or people who are at least looking to regain some level of fitness so as to be able to perform the hobbies that they love, and we have a high level of education. Furthermore, many of us bring our own experiences with sports or hobbies with us into PT school and may develop a special interest in helping patients who also participate in that specific activity. This may be running, weight lifting, golf, fishing, or any other number of activities. I think that Amy definitely has developed a reputation in Fort Worth as the PT to see if you are a runner, whether distance or track, and it was inspiring to see how that played out. I would say that at least 50% of the patients in her case load were referred specifically to her either by physicians or other runners due to her level of understanding with this sport.

The main impact that this particular experience had on me was to show me the wide impact that this type of reputation for excellence in a particular community could have. I was inspired to join up with a running-based non-profit organization based out of Dallas (and many other major cities) that uses regular running as the base of an incentive program to help unhoused individuals get housing, work placement, and overall just develop good habits. I have been speaking with the organizers of this program and intend to offer my services as a PT to their participants after I pass my boards in July, and I am very excited to be able to donate my time and give back in this way.