MHA@GW Module 2 - Medical Informatics & Decision Management

Key Competencies:

• Health Care Issues: Healthcare issues and trends
  • Project Management: Planning and managing projects
  • Change and Innovation: Planning and implementing change
  • Information Management: Information and technology management
  • Decision Making: Solving business problems and making decisions

My Development:

Module 2 furthered my understanding and appreciation of Healthcare Information Technology. Working in a clinical setting for the past four years has shown me the many issues and shortcomings of HIT in the healthcare industry, but learning about how it is constantly changing while learning my way through multiple program upgrades in my office has enabled me to see a bright future.

At the patient level, HIT is improving all the time, imporving connection of data with patients and their health records. HIT is growing to connect patients to their information, and keep providers connected to patients health outside the office, increasing the quality of care that can be provided.

This Module broadened my undestanding of terminology related to HIT, for example the difference between EMR and EHR, which I previously used interchangably. Interoperability is also an important term relative to HIT, as not all apps and software are able to communicate. As I continue to grow, I will focus on how different systems can operate together to futher the patient experience, and reduce unnecessary medical costs due to a lack of communicated treatments and results.

This module was heavily focused on group work, and collaboration with classmates was paramount to be successful. We all strived to work together as a team to deliver our presentations, and present valuable data in a way that connected to our peers in an attempt to further everyones understanding of the issues and subjects addredded.

While I found this module frustrating in the beginning, ultimately it helped broaden my understanding of HIT, and the need for its further development in the future.