MHA@GW Module 2

Medical Informatics and Decision Management HSML 6265

Key Competencies:

Health Care Issues: Healthcare issues and trends

Project Management: Planning and managing projects

Change and Innovation: Planning and implementing change

Information Management: Information and technology management

Decision Making: Solving business problems and making decisions 

My Development:

Module 2 provided the foundation of information I was missing regarding a topic that I thought I had a fairly good working knowledge of; Health Information Technology. I work as a Medical Laboratory Scientist (formerly known as Medical Technologist). I have used laboratory technology for many years, and I have also utilized laboratory information technology for several years. My corporation implemented a new Electronic Health Record (EHR) and Laboratory Information System (LIS) several years ago when regulations were dictation the transition from paper. It was beneficial for me to undergo this entire process as I was exposed to many different requirements as well features of the new technology and system. This module it was drilled into the students that having the appropriate technology can make a huge difference for both the corporate and patient side. We learned that it is vital to have this technology in place to help support the transition of the American healthcare system from fee-for-service and include the many quality features. This new required technology would not only improve the provider side, but would streamline workflows, finance, billing, and coding. 

We were exposed to the plan and idea that the US is moving towards a fee for quality rather than a fee for service based billing and payment structure. This underlying theme in healthcare is helping to shape the direction of hospital/clinic structure as well as the technology supporting it. It hit home when discussing the issues of interoperability between systems. The laboratory information system that was implemented by my hospital requires an interface into our EHR. Therefore the technology does not cooperate seamlessly and leaves the operators with issues that must be dealt with on a daily basis. A point that I will continue to pursue is the idea of interoperability between systems and cooperative partners like the state and grant programs that work so closely and within our health corporations. 

Above all things, Health Information Technology is not something that will be taking a backseat in the near future, and that point was well received. The many takeaways from this module include proper analysis of the data we are able to acquire, support the strategic missions of our corporations, keep an eye on legislation and updates to MIPS/MACRA, as well as understand that the programs are only as good as the people creating, supporting, and providing feedback on them. When the overall goal is patient satisfaction and improved value, the incorporation of technology can hinder, but also has an amazing opportunity to improve outcomes. 

In the near future, I will be moving to Kodiak, Alaska. I will be starting a position as the Clinical Applications Coordinator for Kodiak Area Native Association. The Clinical Applications Coordinator serves as a specialist in the implementation and ongoing support of multi-service clinical software applications (Cerner and Dentrix). Duties involve serving as the coordinator for clinical software packages, consulting with the service lines and their staff in customizing software and training individuals in the daily operation and integration of the packages. The Clinical Applications Coordinator is responsible for maintaining a comprehensive electronic health information system. 

With the information I gained from this module combined with my previous experiences, I will be responsible for the implementation, maintenance, and support of multi-service software packages that automate the capture of clinical encounter information and its subsequent retrieval. I will manage the customization of the local installation of Cerner and Dentix and addresses integration issues with other software packages; periodically review and update local site settings. I will have the opportunity to coordinate implementation of new software products obtained by the facility that cover these functions.

Some of the Responsibilities I will be designated are: 

• Analyzes and evaluates processes related to information flow and works with local staff to make needed changes/improvements. Serves as liaison between service lines concerning these processes.
  • Acquires a comprehensive knowledge of the software involved to determine what the procedural issues versus system/application deficiencies are; Assists staff in the efficient use of the current software.
  • Creates a positive environment for reporting application and/or system deficiencies and suggestions for system improvements and enhanced functionality.
  • Promotes an awareness of the importance of data validity and data security.
  • Coordinates efforts to correct deficiencies and errors that occur in the electronic record.
  • Provides training on current software applications, new features and conducts training for new users; Emphasizes timeliness, accuracy, security and the impact of various functions on other clinical applications.
  • Provides training in standardized reports and in the creation of custom templates for ad hoc reporting utilities.
  • Generates reports for Health Information Management and business office operations as directed.
  • Works with departments and staff in the refining and evaluation of existing health-related software modules and programs; Maintains awareness and comprehensive understanding of all clinical software utilized at KANA.

I believe that I am very fortunate to have just completed Module 2 prior to applying to Kodiak Area Native Association's position as Clinical Applications Coordinator. (CAC Job Description Here!)