HSML 6256 Immersion 2

Leadership & Ethics II

EQ-i Results

Linkage of EQI to MBTI from Immersion 1 -

Reflection PowerPoint

Leadership Practice since Immersion 1 - 

Emergency Operations Planning Committee 

Project Management Committee Lead

In both of the positions that I've stepped up into I've learned that it is important to recognize peoples strengths as well as their weaknesses, and not forget how important it is that we all have weaknesses. The places that we scored a little lower on in the emotional intelligence exam are not things that we are unable to do, yet things that we need to work harder to exercise to become better at. I've also needed to recognize that not everyone has the same level of motivation for things, and patience is not only a virtue but completely necessary for leaders. During a conversation and case study in Immersion 2, we discussed giving a person a second chance. Almost everyone in our immersion was willing to give an employee that missed a deadline the first time, a second chance and opportunity to finish it. However, when approached with the same case study on the 3rd or 4th chance, our leaders were much more hesitant to provide the break and extra time. I believe that it is at the root of all leaders to give people a second chance, however, it is in the same stride that they must be able to lay down the rules and expect that they are respected and followed by their staff. In the case of the two positions that I've been filling with our leadership, it has been important to recognize that each person that is getting an extra responsibility has many other things that they are currently responsible for. Their plates continue to fill with daily responsibilities and the addition of projects or policy review is in addition to all other requirements and job duties. I saw my optimism start to fail over this summer when I saw required tasks fall off to the wayside or pushed aside for another task or responsibility. It is fully within myself to be the leader that continues to support the staff through their struggles too, and improving my optimist and empathy will allow me to be a better leader in the positions I've recently taken. 

Needed areas of growth in leadership - 

Ability to "manage up" - It is a daily struggle that I am asked by my leadership to stand in for them in meetings and be present to take notes for them, however, I am not in a decision-making position, so it is great that we are there and represented, however, my supervisor as the decision maker, should be the person that is present. I occasionally attempt to encourage my leaders to work on things I know that are their weaknesses and try to support them by doing my part. 

Upon being notified of the changes to meaningful use, MIPS, and MACRA it was presented as an opportunity for me to work with our EHR team to build the metrics to voluntarily report although we are currently under an exemption. These staff members are also working on a HRSA Grant report, Baby-Friendly Hospital accreditation, and the Patient-Centered Medical Home implementation. Several are working on a Long Term Care Electronic Health Record build as well as the Operating Room Record keeping product development. In an 8 hour workday, how are these few people supposed to complete any one of these tasks, let alone all of them by an October 1 deadline? The most recent Harvard Business Review discussed "The Overcommitted Organization" and multiteaming. The idea that many managers are committed to many projects and teams shows us that these managers have their primary jobs to do but cannot complete the additional tasks that are assigned and we see the common theme of missed deadlines and unfinished deliverables. Now that I've recognized this theme, a simple question I've asked myself is what can I do as a healthcare leader to mitigate the constant overcommitting and burn-out? If I can answer this question without increasing the budget, FTE count, and meet deadlines, I'd say I've grown as both a person and healthcare leader. 

Memories from Immersion 2: 

Trip to the Capital 

Dinner at Immersion 2 with Fellow Students

Sight Seeing around D.C. on Buff 'N Blue Day